Melanie Nowak

Author of the Venomous Vampire series

ALMOST HUMAN

Forums

Forum Home > Ask the Author > Book store & Publishing questions

Alicia Cooper

Hello Melanie..

I was just wondering is the books available in bookstores or just online?

June 28, 2010 at 7:14 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Melanie Nowak
Administrator

Hi Alicia, nice to meet you!

My books are beginning to turn up in stores :-) 

If you don't see it on the shelf at your favorite store, ask at the counter, & they can order it. Most bookstores get their books through a company called "Ingram" and my books are available from their catalog. You can suggest that your favorite store stock it - that would be a great help!

The books are also available here through my website, and at Amazon.com

Thanks for asking!

--

~ Melanie Nowak

June 28, 2010 at 11:32 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Alicia Cooper

Thank you so much Melanie. I have another question also, because you didn't go through a traditional publisher, who did you go through, did you go through something like Lulu.com? I am thinking of using Lulu for one of my novel projects that a friend and myself are writing.

June 29, 2010 at 6:24 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Melanie Nowak
Administrator

I did a lot of research when deciding how I was going to publish my books in print. I read through many contracts and spoke to many Indie authors.

The key elements I wanted were:

- A good quality product

- Good customer service to help the author

- Comprehensive distribution outlets

- Low initial cost to the author

- but most importantly

COMPLETE CONTROL over the product and over the RETAIL PRICE

There are many companies out there, and almost all of them seem to put out a good quality book with decent print and binding. Almost all of them will list your book with Amazon (the biggest online seller IMO), and Ingram (a big seller to bookstores) Your book will be listed in catalogs for stores to buy - but don't expect them to stock it right away. YOU need to create the demand. No one is going to advertise for you unless you pay for it. You need to find your readers. Books get purchased by store buyers when readers ask for them. I have never paid for advertising - I use my own creative promotional skills on free sites and depend on word-of-mouth through readers.

Many companies have you pay a package price and then offer to lead you by the hand through each step. That is nice - but I doubt it's usually as good as it sounds, and the big turn-off for me was that none of those companies let you set your own retail price. That is a HUGE deal for me. No matter how great a book is, if your paperback is priced at $20, nobody is going to buy it. I'd rather learn how to do things myself, with some tech support, and get a cheaper retail price. I don't want them to force me to take a 40% royalty, if that means the book will cost more for readers. I'd rather keep my royalty smaller and make the book more accessible.

I decided to use CreateSpace and I am VERY happy with them. They are a subsidiary company of Amazon. The initial start up costs are very cheap (under $50). It's very do-it-yourself, but it is not hard. They give you the specs for the margins and everything, and they have plug-in templates for covers. They base the price per page.

Once you format your book and have a true page count, they tell you how much it will cost to print. A certain amount gets added on for Amazon listing fees, and that is the lowest retail price you can charge for the book. Then you can add on a few dollars to the retail price as your royalty. So depending on how much your book costs to print, you figure out what you think is a fair price that readers will pay, and how much you can afford to add as your royalty. I'd rather make just a little $, but sell lots of books, than start out trying to make $5/book and hardly sell any.    

CreateSpace offers services for editing & stuff, but that costs extra. I've worked very hard to cover all of the aspects myself, rather than pay for it. (My background as a teacher with a Masters in Library and Information Research helped) The CreateSpace customer service has always been helpful, and they also have a great community forum where authors chat and answer each others questions. They always pay royalties right on time too.

So, after much research and experience, I really feel CreateSpace has been the best choice for me. You can check it out at:

https://www.createspace.com/GetStarted/CntNew.do

I hope that's helpful! 

--

~ Melanie Nowak

June 29, 2010 at 1:52 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Alicia Cooper

Thankyou so much for your input Melanie. :)

June 29, 2010 at 6:16 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Melanie Nowak
Administrator

My pleasure Alicia! I changed the name of this thread from "Hello!" to "Book store & Publishing questions"   because I thought it would be more helpful to other members who might be interested in those topics :-)

--

~ Melanie Nowak

June 29, 2010 at 6:36 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Alicia Cooper

I agree!

June 29, 2010 at 6:51 PM Flag Quote & Reply

saraL

Hi Melanie, will be the new book available as an ebook? I want to buy it online.

June 26, 2012 at 12:47 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Melanie Nowak
Administrator

Hi Sara,

Yes - Descendant of Darkness will be available as an ebook on Kindle, Smashwords, and most other ebook distributors, as well as in PDF here at this website. I'll be sure to make an announcement with links for purchase as soon as it becomes available!

--

~ Melanie Nowak

June 26, 2012 at 1:02 AM Flag Quote & Reply

lissalou

Is Descendant of Darkness still on schedule for release on July 7th?

July 5, 2012 at 6:03 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Melanie Nowak
Administrator

Hi lissalou!

Yes - Descendant of Darkness will definitely be available for purchase through this website 7/7, in paperback & ebook PDF. There is even a good chance I will be able to give it an early release tomorrow! I sent an e-mail to my website members this morning with an update. If you didn't get it, maybe it went into your spam folder... but I'll be sending another update tomorrow.

Once the book is available here, through my website directly from my printer, it will take another week or so before it will be out through Amazon and other retail outlets.

I hope everyone enjoys it!

--

~ Melanie Nowak

July 5, 2012 at 8:29 PM Flag Quote & Reply

lissalou

Thank you :)

July 5, 2012 at 10:19 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.