Melanie Nowak

Author of the Venomous Vampire series

ALMOST HUMAN

Forums

Forum Home > Ask the Author > Music as Muse

Heather

I'm always interested in finding out what an author was listening to while he/she was writing. What kind of sounds inspire you and feed your imagination?

--

Heather C

February 1, 2010 at 11:29 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Melanie Nowak
Administrator

Hi Heather!

Great question! I have ecclectic tastes in music, and listen to many genres. I love to sing and I love musicals (Dr. Horrible, Sweeney Todd, Labyrinth, Into the Woods, Chicago) To me, every song tells a story. When I'm really immersed in writing (which is almost always, LOL) I can't help but hear characters/situations from my story in almost every song.

I have very clear ideas of where my story is going and how it will affect my characters, so I can't say the music truly "influences" me, but I do often get attached to songs that seem to have strong correlations to the characters for me, and helps them "speak" to me.

I think the best example of this, is my character Sindy and the song “How Does It Feel?” by Avril Lavigne. That song seems to voice everything that Sindy feels inside and will not show others. I was writing Sindy’s scenes for the beginning of ALMOST HUMAN Volume 3: Evolving Ecstasy (Chapter 4, Honesty – when she is with Cain at the hotel), when I realized how apropos the song was to her situation. Most people might not infuse so much emotion into that song, but now every time I hear it, I think of how Sindy must feel and it can make me cry.

I tend to love "otherworldly" sounding music (like scores from fantasy & sci/fi movies), songs I can really sing (I'm a low alto), and songs very infused with emotion. A few of my other favorites that I was listening to while writing the trilogy: Evanescence, Sheryl Crow, No Doubt/Gwen Stefani, Alanis Morrisette, P!NK & My Chemical Romance.

A while back I had written a little snippet of a scene between Allie, Mattie & Cain that referenced "My Chemical Romance" (I don't always write 'in order'. I wrote the scene a few years ago - I think it'll be in B2B) I referenced the songs "This Is How I Disappear" & "House of Wolves" (fav's of mine). It wasn't until later that I discovered they actually have a song titled "Vampires Will Never Hurt You". I had no idea!

There is actually a list of songs that influenced me while writing, in an interview I did, which has a link to it posted on the "About the Author" page. I also have many of these songs playing on my MySpace page for the books at:  www.MySpace.com/VenomAddiction  ;-)

--

~ Melanie Nowak

February 2, 2010 at 10:25 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.