Melanie Nowak

Author of the Venomous Vampire series

ALMOST HUMAN

Forums

Forum Home > ALMOST HUMAN - The First Trilogy > ALMOST HUMAN - The First Trilogy *Discussion will contain Spoilers!*

Melanie Nowak
Administrator

Hello and welcome to the discussion board for ALMOST HUMAN - The First Trilogy!

As the author, I'm always eager to hear people's opinions, interpretations and reactions to the characters and story. As a reader, I've always enjoyed a good book discussion!  One of the wonderful things about literature, is that it can touch each one of us differently. Please join in, and feel free to share and discuss anything "ALMOST HUMAN"! 

January 31, 2010 at 9:40 PM Flag Quote & Reply

grammy 1
Limited Member

Well I must start and say....Love the site!!!! and The First Trilogy.

I feel the need to re-read the Trilogy as I read it the first time with such haste....Trying to keep up with the wonderful story. Now,  I feel I need to go back and relax especially the second  book,  where we learn so much about Cain and his making and his past. The story he relates to Felicity was magic...

I loved the relationship that grows between Cain and Felicity, especially that she is so young , and has no experience in relationships, dating, or sex.. That Cain finds that so refreshing is not a surprise since his years of being alive.

The pain of him leaving her at the end of the third book,  for him as well as myself was hard to read. For myself I knew the why....It is still hard to read as you feel your pain as the reader and his pain...

I did not hate him for doing this....I hurt for him and for her as well.

As a special note, for Felicities memories of Cain,  as her first,  these moments should be precious to her as well... He was , no other than her friend, her lover and her teacher.

I cannot wait for Born to Blood

February 2, 2010 at 10:44 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Gigi

I loved loved loved the first trilogy !!! The characters sucked me in --pun intended ;) right from the first page. And as the story played out, it was so interesting to see a little bit of myself revealed through each one of the characters. At first, I could identify with Felicity but by the end of book 3 it was Allie who seemed to reflect another side of my personality. Amazing isn't it ? Or am I the only one ?

Let me say that I am so excited the Almost Human trilogies will continue for a long time!! YAY!! THAT'S BETTER THAN A WHOLE BOX OF CHOCOLATE COVERED CHERRIES IN MY BOOK !! :) It is going to be awesome to watch Ben, Felicity, Allie, Mattie, Sindy, etc...grow and develop further. And as new characters are introduced, they will be added to my family as well.

I'm with you Grammy. I love the relationship between our man Cain and Felicity. I was heart broken at the end of Evolving Ecstasy. I believe Cain knew early in the relationship with Felicity that she did not want to "turn" or become vampire. It seemed as though he hinted at the notion but Felicity did not respond in the way that he would have hoped. It was his noble character that did not allow her to "turn" in the end and that is why he said "no" then drove off and left her standing there...OH THE AGONY !!

Cain wanted her to live a full life where all of her desires would be fulfilled. I'm thinking Cain felt he could have made her happy in his world but he felt Felicity had so much more to gain by staying in her world. Like I said, my heart aches for both of them. I miss Cain and can't wait to get more of him in Born to Blood !

I think the next trilogy will be even better than the first...imho. Melanie just keeps getting better and better ! :D   

February 2, 2010 at 1:34 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Melanie Nowak
Administrator

Thanks so much, both of you!

Grammy -

Cain's history and all the research that I did for it was a special part of the book for me. It was such an intimate picture into his life and a new understanding of him as a person. I'm glad that Cain has earned your empathy and that you appreciate his tender care for Felicity. I know I put everyone through the emotional wringer when he left, and even though we understand why, it still hurts.

I'm sorry to have put Cain & Felicity through that, but what we endure makes us into who we are. I'm proud of them both for their decisions at the end, and for carrying on. Sometimes we have to do what we know is right - even though it feels like it's ripping our heart out :-(

Although the next book will still have drama, there will be more relationship building and less heartbreak... for now. I think it's a more fun / mysterious / intriguing / loving book overall. So while you might need some tissues for sentimentality, I don't think you'll go through the box, LOL.

February 2, 2010 at 5:10 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Melanie Nowak
Administrator

Gigi -

Better than a whole box of chocolate covered cherries? That's quite a claim!!! I'm so glad my 'family' has also become yours. Again - sorry Cain broke your heart, but he would not have been the man he is if he had decided otherwise. It was a difficult situation.

Yes, he probably could have made Felicity happy as a vampire (and Felicity was counting on that as well, since she didn't Really want to be one when she asked for it) but Cain has the perspective of living over 340 years. He doesn't just live for the moment anymore, but also looks ahead. He knew that years down the road she might start thinking of all the human things she had missed and could never get back. She's only 18.

Thanks for having such faith in the future books. To be honest, throughout writing the trilogy I always felt each book was better than the last (I still believe that). Now I feel this next book is better than the first 3, LOL.

Maybe it's just because I get so excited about whatever I'm currently working on. Honestly, I'm not even done with "Born to Blood" and I'm already really psyched for the one after it, "Descendent of Darkness" - and the last of this 2nd trilogy will be "Destined for Divinity" and might be the best story yet! I wish I could write as fast as I think. I have the entire trilogy mentally written already - I just need to get it on paper!

I do hope you keep loving the books - each one better than the one before. I will certainly do my part to try and improve my skills as I go :-)

Thanks!

--

~ Melanie Nowak

February 2, 2010 at 5:10 PM Flag Quote & Reply

kris "vamp girl"

I really loved this Trilogy.  Cain was definitely swoon worthy, although very frustrating and kind of fickle.  I just didn't get his sideline infatuation with Sindy.  I really saw nothing appealing about that girl at all.  That being said, I still love Cain and was ulterly heartbroken when he left Felicity, although I did understand the why of it.  I do love Ben and I wonder if Felicity does as well or if he is just rebound guy and helping heal her broken heart.  I'm really looking forward to finding out what happens with our little love triangle and I certainly hope that Cain and Sindy (ick) don't end up together.  I can't wait to find out more about Mattie and Allie as well. 

February 3, 2010 at 10:00 AM Flag Quote & Reply

grammy 1
Limited Member

I could understand the why of Cains Involvement with Sindy. He as a mentor and teacher saw such potential in her from the beginning. He treated he like a spoiled child at times and had tremendous patience for her.. And of course she was a vampire...One of his kind...His sexual act with her was not done with love, it was an act of just need...He had just felt he and Felicity were done...And after the act he was so sorry for using her....We all have done something like  that to someone in the past and it does not feel good...

I also do not see Cain "with" Sindy but possibly still a mentor. and friend.

February 3, 2010 at 10:52 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Melanie Nowak
Administrator

Hi Grammy - thanks for sharing your point of view :-)

Hi Kris - thanks for joining!

I'm glad you loved the books, and I hope you will continue to enjoy the series. I've actually just posted a response to you about Cain & Sindy in the forum on Amazon as well ( http://www.amazon.com/-Ask-the-Author/forum/FxXB3W04KWOHXB/TxKW2U1B1WF4T9/1 ;) so I won't go too deeply into it here, but I have to say that I feel badly that Cain seemed fickle to you. I understand your point of view, but I hadn't wanted him to come across that way - so I suppose that's my failing. I don't see his relationship with Sindy as a 'sideline infatuation', but as his responsibility as an elder vampire. As Cain tells Felicity in "Evolving Ecstasy" - "I spurned her advances, but I'm not going to throw her to the wolves!"

Sindy is definitely a 'damaged' person who it is very hard to find endearing, LOL. However, none of us is perfect. My characters are painted in various shades of gray, and even if I'm the only one, I do see some good in each of them. Each of them was grown out of a little seed of something within myself. There will be characters throughout the series the you may never like, but hopefully you will be able to understand them and enjoy their role in the series.

As far as things with Felicity, she does really love Ben, but that is not to say that there won't be some difficult choices and a bit of drama down the road. I hope you enjoy the ride!

February 3, 2010 at 1:02 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Gigi

I think if anyone can help Sindy it is Cain BUT Sindy has to be ready and willing to accept Cain as her mentor and friend...then after much healing and time, who knows what the future holds. Personally I don't see them together in the future, then again I'm not the author of this wonderful story :wink:

February 5, 2010 at 5:08 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Elizabeth Greene

Thank you so much for using my review of your trilogy on the home page of your website.  It humbles me that you thought it worthy of using. 

As for poor Sindy, I believe that her problems began because she was left to her own devices without guidance and she never realized that there were other options.  She was only using instinct to survive when along Cain comes and throws a wrench into the pot by showing her a different philosophy.  The biggest lesson she learned was, you can not dominate someone more dominant than you.  A life lesson we all learn in our lives.

I hold out hope for Sindy.

February 26, 2010 at 5:09 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Melanie Nowak
Administrator

Hi Elizabeth -

Thanks for that great review - it was so nice and well written! I'm trying to rotate and use the best of my most recent reviews in the sidebar, so I had yours up for the 1st 3 weeks. I've actually just rotated it to the 'review' page and put up a fresher one (although I liked yours better - more details ;-)

Sindy has become a favorite character for me. I know most people hate her (she was sort of designed that way, LOL) But she's really just lost and making some bad decisions while trying not to 'drown in the ocean' of this new world she's been thrown into.

That's not to say she isn't a bitch now & then, but I think we all have times we'd like to act that way - even if we don't. She does have a lot to learn - and I think the others will learn a bit from her too along the way. I'm very excited by the arc I have set for her in the next trilogy. I know some people wish she'd just disappear from the story - but I'm glad you see hope for her! 

--

~ Melanie Nowak

February 27, 2010 at 11:20 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Elizabeth Greene

Wow!  A TwiCon invite.  I'm glad that they are expanding this to include other supernatural authors and actors.  Last year, in Dallas there were an awful lot of people who showed up for it.  I didn't attend, but some who were there were disappointed in the convention.  I believe it was a first time attempt by the people who put it together, so whatever lessons they learned there will probably translate into a much smoother convention this year.  By expanding I think they will draw more than just the followers of the Twiligt series and that's a good thing.

March 6, 2010 at 10:40 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Melanie Nowak
Administrator

Elizabeth -

I believe the people who put together the first TwiCon event have been manning a bulletin board all year where they asked for suggestions on how to improve the convention. If you go to their website, they are still open to comments and suggestions - I think that is a great attitude.

I noticed one person left a comment that was resentful of the fact that it is no longer just a "Twilight" convention, but most people are very happy. I know I am ;-)  

I do hope that I can go!

--

~ Melanie Nowak

March 6, 2010 at 9:18 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Dwight

Am I the only fan who was overjoyed when Cain left and Felicity hooked up with Ben. Plus I liked the way Sindy evolved throughout the series.

April 9, 2010 at 2:54 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Dwight

I live an hour from las Vegas. When is the convention? I'll be in tucson for the next couple of weeks, but if it were in May---mid June, I would like to attend. 

April 9, 2010 at 2:56 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Melanie Nowak
Administrator

Hi Dwight!

Sorry, unfortunately they had to cancel TwiCon. I'm very disappointed, but I'll let everyone know as soon as another convention comes along that I can attend!

I'm glad you apreciated Sindy's evolution of character - you can expect more from her in the next trilogy ;-) 

You are not the only person who is "Team Ben", LOL. Quite a few readers were very happy with the ending. There are a few people who mentioned it in the discussions here in the 2nd trilogy forum & also on the Amazon book page discussions (at the bottom of the Amazon page the book is sold on).

Thanks for writing!

--

~ Melanie Nowak

April 14, 2010 at 2:31 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Dabs

THANK YOU!!!

I just finished reading Almost Human (again!) and like the first time, I had tears in my eyes when Cain left Felicity.

This book is such a great ride of emotions....I laughed out loud at the banter between the characters , I was angry at Cain for having sex with Sindy and my heart ached for relationship between Cain & Felicity. I cant believe how much I came to care about  these characters!

I am anxiously waiting to find out what will happen to Cain, Felicity, Allie, Ben, Mattie and yes, even Sindy! Each character adds to this wonderful love story

PS I  am secretly hoping Cain and Felicity will find their way back to other, Cain deserves to finally have lasting happiness (Hebrews 6:10)

Dabs 04/18/10

April 18, 2010 at 8:20 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Laura

Melanie, do you know if the next book will be available through common bookstores likes B&N and Borders? I had to order the last 3 off Amazon, Border's couldn't get them.

Thanks!

April 20, 2010 at 5:24 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Melanie Nowak
Administrator

Dabs -

Thank you for writing. I am so glad that my characters have found their way into your heart. Thank you for reminding me of Hebrews 6:10, if you don't mind, I think I'd like to include that in the book. I also believe that Cain deserves to be happy - but the road to happiness is often a long and winding one. Have patience, and faith that everything happens for a reason ;-)

--

~ Melanie Nowak

April 21, 2010 at 10:23 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Melanie Nowak
Administrator

Hi Laura!

Thanks for picking up my books from Amazon. My trilogy is only just being included in distribution catalogs (where places like B&N and Borders order from), and being displayed in the "New Title Showcase" at Book Expo America this May. The Book Expo is a huge event where bookstore buyers go to seek out and purchase new books to carry in stores (Cross your fingers that my titles get picked up!). However, it will probably be a little longer before you can actually get my books in a store.

If you want to get "Born to Blood" as soon as it comes out, it will be available here first, then on Amazon, Kindle & eBook Mall. 

Thanks for reading!

--

~ Melanie Nowak

April 21, 2010 at 10:29 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.